Saturday, January 8, 2011

kids say the darndest things...sort of...or maybe not

1st grader #1: Hey, do you know how old Miss Courtney is?
1st grader #2: She is 26.
1st grader #1: Yes, she is 26.
Me: Both of you need to stop talking about how old I am and get your morning work done.
1st grader #1: But Miss Courtney I am worried about you. You are 26 and not married. When are you going to get married? You need to get married.
Me: [momentarily speechless] ________, please be quiet and get your work done.

Later during lunch student #1 told me again that I needed to get married. #1 gave me tips on how to get married. #1 told about some random dating website. On the way to PE #1 told me I needed acne medicine.

Sometimes first grade isn't so much fun.

Truthfully, being 26 and not married bugs me occasionally. Before Christmas break it bugged me more than occasionally. A lot more. During the break while reading blogs I came across this verse:

Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart.
Psalm 37:4

A blogger had written about her desire to get married and have children. This verse was of great comfort to her as she waited, and I felt comfort reading the verse, too. Now I don't think that this verse somehow guarantees that one day I will get married. I think that God will either give me the desires of my heart or God will change the desires of my heart. So since making these revelations about God's plan and the thought of marriage, I have felt much more at peace. It rarely bothers me now. I was bothered by the whole thing today. Now, I just pray to God about it. I know He can do all things. If it is part of God's plan for me to get married, then I will. If it isn't part of His plan, then I won't. I just pray for guidance and patience. I pray that if getting married isn't part of His plan, that He take that desire away.

I also plan on praying for guidance in dealing with 1st graders.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Alabama, United States
I graduated from the University of Alabama. I teach 1st grade. I am thankful for my many blessings.

Followers