Sunday, May 16, 2010

apartment drama

So I mentioned that I have apartment drama in my last post. Here is some more information about it.


Background: I have lived at Mountain View/Sterling Ridge for almost three years. They changed names last December. After two years the rent went up $10, no biggie. There have been renovations to the exterior of the buildings. However, the lot where the apartment burned down two years ago is still there. I really wish they would have just leveled it and cleared it out. They could have made it a grassy lawn. My apartment is a super small one bedroom apartment. It has 778 sq. ft. I pay $585 a month which includes water & sewage. The selling point of this apartment was the fact that they had a washer and dryer I could use without having to pay extra. I am way over dorm style laundry centers. I had to buy all of my furniture when I moved in, so I didn't exactly have the extra money for a washer and dryer.


Reasons to move
  • I don't care for the location of my apartments. The area has lots of apartment complexes. Mine is the nicest in the area, because the others are way run down. They are cheap and old.

  • I don't care for the type of people that live in those run down apartments. A few weeks ago there was a meth lab explosion at one of them. There are a few registered sex offenders living in various apartment complexes near mine.

  • In the fall of 2007 a little girl was abducted from her bus stop and taken to a parking lot and was sexually assaulted.

  • December of 2008 someone took my radar detector and ipod from my car. The window wasn't busted or anything so I guess I left the door unlocked by mistake.

  • I don't care for the people that live in my building and complex. Snobby, I know. I had some issues in December with the guy that lived across from me. He liked to leave his trash and cigarette butts outside of his door so I got to see them every time I stepped outside my door. A week and a half ago I had to call the courtesy officer at 11:45 at night because my upstairs neighbor decided to have a LOUD party on a Thursday night.

  • So in summary, I don't feel safe and I don't like where I live.

So I have begun to look at new apartments. Nothing serious until I don't get a pink slip. Prayers are still needed :) The problem with newer and nicer apartments is the price. Everything is more than what I pay now. Some are way more than what I pay now. So I am attempting to save more money. I canceled my HBO subscription, I hadn't been using it. I am trying to be more careful with my money, which is difficult during wedding season. I am going to try and start using coupons to help me save more money. It is frustrating considering I work ten hours a day and I still have to be so careful with my money to just live in a nice, safe place. I will be working 40 hours a week this summer at school with extended day and I am planning on using that money to help purchase a washer and dryer. Most of them have gated entrances which I like. Some of them are more expensive and have less space, which is also frustrating. I want a bigger kitchen and a small area to put a desk so my school stuff and printer don't have to sit in the corner in the floor. However, at this point I want out so bad that I am willing to pay more for a smaller, but nicer and safer place.

I really need some prayers to help me sort all of this out and figure out a way to make it work.



My itty bitty dining area

Since I don't have a pantry and my cabinets are full of kitchen supplies I purchased this shelving unit to help give me room to put food.

my itty bitty kitchen


notice there is no counter space



3 comments:

Quincy Sorensen said...

Oh, dear. I AM going to pray for you. Is buying a small home and renting it out to a friend or two an option? What about that neighborhood off Balch on the other side of 72? Or doing the same thing with a "luxury" apartment?

alishakatherine said...

Right now I feel like buying or renting a home would be too much for me. Then I would need to buy more appliances (microwave, fridge, etc.) than just a washer and dryer. That would also give me a yard to be responsible for. I would love to have a roommate so that I could share the bills, but I don't have anyone to live with. Everyone here is married. I also think living in an apartment might be a safer option for me. Maybe moving to a new apartment will help me make some new friends, too.

Rachel said...

I hope your apartment search goes well! I have to figure out a living situation too...boo. Miss you!

About Me

My photo
Alabama, United States
I graduated from the University of Alabama. I teach 1st grade. I am thankful for my many blessings.

Followers