Saturday, December 24, 2011

high heels

The last time I checked I was 5 feet 2.5 inches tall. I have always been content with my short height. If anything I wouldn't mind being a bit shorter so I could buy the shorter length of pants. As it is I am too tall for short and too short for average. The bottom of my jeans and pants are always tattered. As it is the main challenge I face being short is not being able to reach things up high, but I think it is fun to climb on top of chairs and other things to reach those items up high. It's never an issue in stores because I can just ask someone for help. Also being short helps me look more innocent and younger so sometimes people offer to help before I can ask. I remember being younger and asking my parents for my first pair of shoes with a heel. I struggled to walk in them. You would think the years of dance would have helped to prepare me for walking in heels. It didn't. I tried to practice, but it only marginally got better. It was around this time that my Aunt Tresa, the fun aunt, bought Becca and her daughter Elizabeth the most tacky looking heels I have ever seen. Imagine brown velvet, 3 inch stacked heel, strappy, and a flower on it. I believe it was suppose to more of a silly dress up type purchase. Becca wore those things everywhere, and she could strut in those shoes. I vividly remember her walking around kroger during the summer time in those heels. I only wish I had seen the looks on people's faces over the 7 year old in high heels. I remember my dad saying that she could walk in heels better than me, and it's true. Over the years I got better about walking in heels, but better doesn't mean I could do it well. Heels weren't very comfortable for me. I couldn't walk in them. So, I didn't wear them often. Since I graduated Alabama four and a half years ago my opportunities for wearing heels dwindled dramatically. I could probably count the times I wore heels each year on one hand. Since I was teaching and on my feet so much I started buying teacher friendly shoes like flats. I have basically spoiled my feet since graduation with lots of comfortable, flat shoes. So my feet cry out in pain when I attempt to wear heels. It is also very difficult to find shoes when one foot is a half size bigger than the other. Insoles help, but one shoe still doesn't fit quite right. I have my daddy's flat feet which also makes wearing heels uncomfortable. In recent months I have worn heels twice. Once for a wedding. Once for an engagement party. I am pretty sure walking around the party I looked the same as when I tried on that first pair of heels. Driving home from the engagement party my feet were crying out in pain. I was smart and packed other shoes in the car to drive in. My feet continued to hurt the next day. The balls of my feet hurt. My arches, or lack thereof, were tight. My pinky toes were red. It got me thinking. Why am I doing this to my feet? I like fashion, but I like comfort a lot more. So then I made a promise to myself to not wear high heels again. My goal is to find cute, flat, comfortable shoes forever more. I currently have some cute gold flats on order for a wedding on NYE. I am crossing my fingers they get here by then.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Alabama, United States
I graduated from the University of Alabama. I teach 1st grade. I am thankful for my many blessings.

Followers