Wednesday, July 6, 2011

musings and a blog update

I absolutely love this song and this particular version. Everytime it comes up on pandora I smile. It brings me joy.

girls dressed up for dinner
My beach trip was wonderful. I had a blast driving down with Rachel. We had a fun playlist to sing along to. It included some Jimmy Buffett music which makes my heart happy :) I even wore my Jimmy Buffett shirt on the trip down. We drove down late Thursday afternoon. Friday we spent the majority of the day on the beach in Destin. We stayed at Katelyn's grandparent's condo in Niceville for free. You can't beat free :) Spending all day on the beach left me with the worst sunburn of my life. It was awful. I was hot. I was cold. I was uncomfortable. Nothing could touch the burn. After dinner I was making a peach cobbler for everyone and I got overheated and dizzy. I had to take a break from cooking to lay down with a cool washcloth so I would cool down and not pass out. Sleeping that night was terrible. I couldn't get comfortable. Everything hurt. I wiggle when I sleep and woke myself up repeatedly during the night because everytime I would move my sunburn would hurt and wake me up. I kept thinking that night there was no way I could go to the beach the next day. Luckily for me we decided to spend the day at the outlets instead! I bought six new dresses. I have a slight obsession with dresses. My closet is full of them. I try to avoid wearing pants/capris/shorts as much as possible.




me and Bridget
I look like a red/puple lobster. I promise I wore sunscreen on the beach. I even remembered to reapply the sunscreen. However, I didn't realize that one of the medicines that I take says to avoid sunlight. I learned the hard way to check all of the warnings and read all the information about the medicine you take. From now on I will check with my person pharmacist Dr. Trammell, aka my bff Ashley, on any and all medicines I take. My bff is called Doctor. How cool is that?
Also, Bridget is spending the summer in Romania working in an orphange. I am amazed by Bridget and all that she does :)
me being silly during the concert in the park

During Memorial Day weekend me and Rachel and some other friends went to Decatur to see hot air balloons. Everyone else had to leave early, but we stayed. We were determined to see the hot air balloons and ride in a hot air balloon. We waited in line for what seemed like forever. It was getting dark and they were stopping the tethered rides once it got dark. Luckily, we were able to get in the hot air balloon and take a quick ride up and down. It was awesome :)

Last weekend a bunch of friends and I went to the Huntsville Museum of Art. I don't think I had ever been in there before. We also went to Harrison Brothers Hardware Store in downtown Huntsville. That was probably one of the coolest stores I have ever seen. It is over 100 years old. It has all sorts of fun and random things in it. We even got to go to the basement that had a bunch of old doors, windows, and other junk. One girl bought a hobbit door and is going to make a coffee table out of it.

I have had a lot of fun playing around with my sewing machine. I am currently working on a project for a friend's daugter. It involves a pattern which makes me nervous. I have a hard time following patterns and instructions. Luckily, maybe, I have Becca to help me. Prayers are probably needed for me and Becca to work together and not kill each other. It will be a learning experience for both of us. I am not the best student. She is majoring in Secondary Education in Family and Consumer Sciences. Huh? That is the modern day term for Home Ec. So thus she knows how to sew and could possibly be teaching others to sew one day. If she can teach me she can teach anyone! She wasn't thrilled with the idea of helping me, but I begged mom to make her since she is temporarily out of service. Last Wednesday Mom had surgery to repair two tears in her knee. She was in a lot of pain after the surgery until our friend Nurse Regina came by the next morning to remove the drain. She's doing better now and started physical therapy last Friday. She has a long way to go but she should be ready for long distance walking by football season. I told her we could get her one of those rascal scooters you see old people in on those tv commercials where they are on the edge of the Grand Canyon. She didn't find my joke funny. I did :)

I have spent a lot of time recently looking at crafty sewing blogs. It inspires me greatly and makes me think I could be one of those super crafty people :) Earlier tonight I was looking at how to make a quilt! One day it will happen. Right now I am hoping to make a dress for me with some pink seersucker fabric with elephants on it (how perfect would that be for me?!), some new couch pillows, curtains for my sun room window, and making some skirts for me. I am really ambitious :)

For the 4th my small group from church had a party. I make the summer berry trifle. It looked really pretty and tasted pretty good, too! I also make mom's famous baked beans. We went to a field near Bridgestreet to watch the fireworks. Then we stopped and bought sparklers and poppers to play with afterwards. It's fun to be child like and play with sparklers.




3 comments:

Rachel said...

You seem so happy! I'm so glad you had a great beach trip (I'm so jealous). Miss you!!

RachSparkles said...

Faaaaavorite! I was around for most of those things and that makes me feel fuzzy! Now you need to post about the rafting trip and many sno-biz fails. Love you!

Quincy Sorensen said...

Fun post! Fun summer! I love your dresses. ;)

About Me

My photo
Alabama, United States
I graduated from the University of Alabama. I teach 1st grade. I am thankful for my many blessings.

Followers