In memory of my daddy, John David Courtney March 1, 1949 - July 3, 1999
I was 14 when my world got turned upside down. In the early morning hours of July 3, 1999 my dad had a massive heart attack and was taken from me in an instant. I never would have thought ten years ago that I could make it ten years without my favorite person. I had a very close relationship with my dad. Our personalities are very similar. We are more quiet (compared to my mom and sister), stubborn, and slightly argumenative. Okay probably more than slightly argumenative. Although it might not seem like we had a ton in common our personalities just clicked. I could spend all day with him and enjoy every minute of it. I would sit and watch the History channel with him. I always loved learning more about Germany and world war two. Daddy loved history and I would learn just as much from him as I would the History channel. He was so smart. I also remember watching movies, often James Bond, with him cuddled up on the couch. I also remember being tickled nonstop from him. I remember the fun trips when he was home on leave from Germany. He took me to the zoo. We would go on little trips to Mobile to see my grandmother (his mother). I could even make the whole six hour trip without a bathroom break. He was kinda proud of that fact, and he didn't like to stop. He would take me anywhere. I think I was close the ideal daddy little's girl/daddy's little tom boy. I think my dad would have loved to have a son, but I was a good compromise. I remember daddy once took me to the Huntsville Botantical Gardens. I was so surprised that he knew so much about the different flower and trees. I always thought he was so smart. I remember on that trip I found the prettiest rose with such a sweet smell. When the double delight rose is a bud it is a light pink color and as it blooms it becomes a darker pink with a cream center. Daddy knew how much I loved the double delight rose, and he went out and bought it and planted a double delight rose bush in our front flower bed. Now everytime I see that rose I am reminded of how much my daddy loves me. I remember while my Daddy was stationed in Germany he would mail cards, letters, and presents. I got a special Army teddy bear with Courtney printed on his uniform and some of my dad's dog tags and a special dog tag made for me. I loved that teddy bear. He would also send yummy cookies and candy. I also got a collection of swarovski crystal. I knew he loved me so much. I remember for my 5th birthday he was in Germany and my mom took me into her room and there was a present from him wrapped in Looney Toon paper in the top of her closet. I was born and raised an Alabama football fan. The dog my parents got after they got married (before kids) was an eskimo spitz named Alabama "Bear" Bryant. I know he is so proud of me for graduating from the University of Alabama. And I know he is proud of me for being a teacher. He always knew how much I loved to learn. He promised me that as long as I would read it he would buy me any book I wanted, and I wanted a lot of books. I loved our trips to Barnes and Noble. He also bought me computer learning games, and a dry erase board and markers to help Becca learn. He was also proud of my good grades. He wasn't the best student in school. I think it was more due to laziness not ability. When I was little if I had a good report card (A's and B's) we could go to Red Lobster. I think I learned my love of seafood from him. I also developed a love of NASCAR from him. He loved Dale Earnhardt, and at that time I liked Jeff Gordon. He didn't like him, but it made it more fun for us to argue. Now I like Dale Jr. I remember being little and having races in the house to my bed at bed time. I also remember the years my dad worked the night shift and the years he worked on Saturdays and all the extra overtime he worked just to help pay for the things we wanted and needed especially dance class. He never complained and was so proud of me, especially when I made the dance team in middle school and high school. I remember getting glasses in 6th grade and him letting me pick out any pair that I wanted. I didn't know the price of the glasses at the time, but it was a lot. Much more than my mom thought he should spend on me. It caused a big fight between them, but he never said anything about it to me.
These are just some of the memories I have from my 14 years with him. I truely believe that 14 years weren't enough. I know that God's Plan for him was done, but I am very selfish and my plan for him wasn't done. I still needed and need him everyday. Especially over the past year when my life got so turned upside down and I was so hurt by my mom and sister I needed him. I know without a doubt that some of hurtful and upsetting things would have NEVER happened if he was still here. I know heaven is a much better place than Earth, but life without him has been hard. I always knew he loved me which is more than I can say for others. I miss him terribly, but I know I will see him again. I have made mistakes in my life, but I still know he is proud of me. I always want to make him proud of me. I know I have a guardian angel watching over me.
Daddy,
I love you and miss you. I know you know how hard things are for me. I was always emotional and got my feelings hurt easily. Somethings don't change. Thank you for watching over me. Please help me to find the strength to make through without you. Please help me to find joy and happiness. I love you with all my heart. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about you and miss you, but I always know that you love me.
Love never fails....And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
Sunday, July 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- alishakatherine
- Alabama, United States
- I graduated from the University of Alabama. I teach 1st grade. I am thankful for my many blessings.
No comments:
Post a Comment